Chemical make-up: NaF – or sodium fluoride. Sound familiar?
Inspired by Jennifer Nichole Wells’ One Word Photo Challenge
A warning to minerals collectors from the Villiaumite page on Mindat:
Poisonous! Fluoride ion in water-soluble form is what makes this mineral highly toxic. Its availability in macrospecimens, and the attractive colour, might lure small children into tasting it. May be fatal if swallowed or inhaled. Affects respiratory system, heart, skeleton, circulatory system, central nervous system and kidneys. Causes irritation to skin, eyes and respiratory tract. Irritation effects may be delayed.
Wash hands after handling; do not generate dust by grinding or sawing; and keep out of reach of small children.
Oral ld50 close to 50mg/kg (52 in rat, 57 in mouse).
Categories: Mineral Collecting