Tomorrow I write a statistics exam. I’m supposed to be studying for it right now. I can’t. Ever since the Daily Prompt dropped into my inbox, I’ve been distracted. I better get this out of my system so that I can focus on bell curves, means, and standard deviations afterward.
The prompt asks us to write about the last thing I contemplated leaving. That would be the house, this morning. “Leave” as in move to a new house. We think this one is sinking. Every time we close the cutlery drawer, for example, it refuses to stay shut and slides back open. The cast iron grate over the stove-top burner no longer sits flush. There’s a nice new crack in one of the upstairs walls. The house is warped.
I asked Reiner, “Wanna move?”
I know all about “calling it quits”. I know endings and starting over. I have moved seventeen times, been married three times. I haven’t done the math regarding the number of occupations I’ve held. Speaking of math, this course I’m enrolled in is my third “kick at the cat” as mom would say. I’ve studied Advertising Art (withdrew), Developmental Services Worker (graduated with distinction) and now Mining Engineering. (So far, so good. They have awarded me three bursaries, so I must be doing something right.)
I am tired of all of the moves and recovery work, physically and psychically. Reiner has had his fair share of changes, too, and he does not want to move. That’s a good thing. He’s my anchor and keeps me from flitting away.
Because when I quipped this morning about moving, I wasn’t entirely joking. There is some appeal to the thought of house-hunting and the time spent on MLS. An acquaintance shares the same sentiment. She says she gets a jones on when she sees “Open House” notices. I still browse through the real estate listings more out of habit than anything, but if the “dream house” should ever land on my monitor… I dunno if I’d have the discipline to point, click, and step away from the “make an offer” button.
For now, though, I’ve satisfied the urge to write and I can focus on other deviations!
*** *** *** *** *** ***
Categories: Personal Growth
28 replies ›
- Daily Prompt: If You Leave | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: If You Leave | Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugboat Captain's Wife
- Just Like Everyday | Views Splash!
- If you leave… | Life as a country bumpkin...not a city girl
- Debt and Mattresses (Daily Prompt) | Thinking Diagonally
- I think I left love | The Bohemian Rock Star's "Untitled Project"
- Daily Prompt: If You Leave | Nola Roots, Texas Heart
- Cee’s Share Your World Week 16 | The Zombies Ate My Brains
- Poem / Poetry – “Goodbye, My Dear!” | toofulltowrite (I've started so I'll finish)
- If You Leave [VIGNETTE] | Ramisa the Authoress