I dress for comfort and for economy. Guess how many pairs of shoes I have? Six. Including the rubber clogs pictured here. This is me in my gardening gear from 2002. The footwear was purchased BEFORE “crocs” had become fashionable. I bought them for less than $10.00 at a grocery store. Still have them. They’ve got a lot more ground to cover, too.
I started to work for Bell Canada in the early 1970’s. I was sixteen, and work was part-time, after school. Very convenient since the office was just across the street from the high school.
Just before I had landed the job, my dad warned me how expensive it would be for me to work there. “Those gals are all clothes horses,” he said. “You are going to have to buy a whole new wardrobe.”
I’ve never been one for fashion. There are several reasons I suppose. I’m too cheap to keep up with the current trends, is one. I cannot support the cosmetic and “beauty” industry and all of the deceit and mixed messages involved. Out of defiance, I dress down.
I will admit that issues of self-esteem and poor body image linger. Just tiny wee echoes. I’ve learned to live with them, for the most part. But every now and again, when someone suggests that I pluck my eyebrows, for example, my inner warrior rises up and reacts. Over the top reacts. Way out of proportion to what the circumstances merit, reacts.
Inspired by my VERY good friend and fellow clothes horse and photographer
25 replies ›
- Fashion wins the race | A mom's blog
- Daily Prompt: New Sensation | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Colors #01 | THE MARRIED MAN WHO LOVES HIS X
- A FUN FAD! | Words 'n Pics...
- Daily Prompt: New Sensation | The Bohemian Rock Star's "Untitled Project"
- The Camino Plan | Footloose, Fancy-Free…Fashionable?
- Daily Prompt: New Sensation | Nola Roots, Texas Heart
- The Only Thing That Looks Good On Me is You | Views Splash!
- Daily Prompt: New Sensation | The Wandering Poet
- Interior Decorating | The Zombies Ate My Brains
- May I Recommend an Excellent Colourist? | The Zombies Ate My Brains
- Dressing Down | The Zombies Ate My Brains
- Because. Modess. | The Zombies Ate My Brains